Wednesday 24 February 2010

Left Behind

Hidee-Ho, my planetary neighbors, what shakes? It's been a while (And the understatement of the year award goes to ...!) since we last spoke, which is kind of a cliche opening for a blog post, and I thought I'd start off another blog-run with a good old moan.

The internet in Indonesia is slow. VERY slow. This in itself is annoying, as one might imagine, but, after a while you get used to having to wait five minutes for a single web-page to load.
What makes it MORE annoying is recent technology.

Y'see, people are becoming more and more internet dependent. The Facebooks and Twitters of this world are household names, and YouTube videos are constantly referred to.
This stinks.
It stinks because I cannot join in the fun. Pages crash, the internet dies, and videos take five hours to load.

The reason I bring this up, is Ubisoft's new DRM thingy.
For those of you that do not know, DRM is a copy-protection system that maintains contact with Ubisoft servers as long as the game is being played.
If you have a stable internet connection, this is all well and good, but, if you're like me and you live in a third world country with internet as reliable as a drunk pigeon, you're out of luck.
No Assassin's Creed 2 for me.

I understand Ubisoft's dedication to not getting their games ripped off, but, really, they're not giving ME alot of choice. If I want to play a Ubisoft game, I'm going to have to get a pirated version, and it's only a matter of time until one appears.

My only regret is how this course of action doesn't help those without any internet at all. They're just screwed.

So, I advise you all: If you're going to be a massive jerk and alienate your customers; DON'T.


Rude Rabbit will be back soon with yet MORE gripes and grizzles!
Have a nice day. ^^

1 comment:

  1. DRM SUCKS! I hate it, especially seeing as my router is so unreliable. And see your point, clearly, if you have poor internet, you are going to have to pirate it, even if it takes you a month to download it :\

    ReplyDelete